Saturday, August 9, 2008

Highlights for July and August

Our director has reported that the month of July was our best month ever for referrals. That included 2006 and 2007. I think having the sculptures got us in the mode of testifying and helping our guests feel the spirit. We have had more guests, single families, from Europe and other countries than ever before. The European 'euro' has helped that--more power against the American dollar.

When we visit with a single family we can get to know them better. That helps us to say things that will fit their situation and personal interest. I think that personal attention helps when we try to give them a desire to learn more about the Book of Mormon and the Church.

Elder Hansen is very good at making presentations and has received several 'green cards.' (A green card is a personal referral from someone who would like missionaries to deliver a Book of Mormon to their home and teach them about it.) It is the best kind of referral.

I am not so bold in my presentations and probably lose opportunities for referrals. But, on the 5th of August, Elder Hansen's birthday, we were in the Tabernacle. It was my turn to greet our guests when two young men came in. They were around 30 years old. They were from Italy and could speak just a little English--asked me to speak slowly and they could then understand.
They were Catholic. They were excited when I explained our Eternal Families doctrine. So I gave them the 'Family Proclamation' in Italian. Before they left that morning they left me a green card and were glad to expect a Book of Mormon delivered to them at home in Italy. I will follow up with them and hope they gain a testimony. They said they would read the Book of Mormon.

I had a happy experience at Jacob Hamblin's Home. A couple arrived to show their granddaughter around before they went to Tuacahn's 'Les Miserables.' She had been to EFY in Las Vegas and was returning home to Layton. I found out the couple, the Pattersons, had served a mission in New Zealand---where a couple from our own Red Cliff's Ward are now serving. They said they knew them---the Duckworth's actually came to replace them when they were released to come home. Jacob's is fun now because the peaches and grapes are ripe and OH! so delicious! Our guests are invited to go pick a few to enjoy---which they do.

Then we learned that the new couple missionaries that will come in October (I think) are from our own Red Cliffs Ward. They moved here in January so we haven't met them, the Parkers---until they came to the Visitor Center and we got a chance to say hello. It will be nice to have mission friends in our own ward.

I had a very sweet experience in the Visitor Center when I met a family from Layton who were showing their mother around Utah. She is from Bolivia and has been a member for many years. She loves the Temple and has had to sacrifice much to ever go there. She is visiting in Utah for a few months and during that time she has volunteered in the Temple cafeteria just so she can be in the Temple. She doesn't speak much English but she came to me and I told her how wonderful it was that she is so strong and good. We embraced and felt a sweet spirit---I hope she felt my love and encouragement.

A grandmother and granddaughter from Veyo came to the Visitor Center and wanted to see our new dvd, 'Pioneer Miracle.' It is 13 minutes long so they were ok to wait for it to end. They started to work on the family history computer. Well, someone started the next movie and they didn't get included. They were ok to wait again to watch it from the beginning. I told them I would watch out for them and be sure they got in next. Six people and a wheelchair came and wanted to see it and I had to get someone to help me get it started---which I did---and forgot the Grandma again! When I realized, I ran over and brought them in---they only missed the opening credits. I was feeling like quite a failure. When the Grandma and granddaughter came out they were so elated. They had talked with the other people in the theater and found things in common. When I apologized---they thanked me. They had found a family member on the family history computer and were going to go home and get his work done. She told me that if they hadn't waited they would not have found him. So, when we are trying to do the best we can, though mistakes happen, the Lord knows how to turn it into a wonderful experience.

But, the very best experience we have had this month was getting the news that our Anna will be married to Darrin Frank the 8th of November in the Salt Lake Temple. They have known each other for six years and have been good friends--so this isn't a 'quick' relationship---it has developed. We have permission to go to the wedding, though it is out of our mission, because it is immediate family. Alisyn and Anna have done most of the planning already---not much left for me to do but go about being a good and happy missionary.

Until next time, remember where blessings come from. We are greatly blessed!

















No comments: