Monday, October 6, 2008

October 2008

Elder Hansen is ready to start his missionary work for the day. Our chitolpa tree (behind him) bloomed all summer long. We put another one on the other side of the front yard....they have been beautiful this year. He keeps our front and back yards well groomed and cared for even with all the hours we spend doing missionary work every day.



Elder Hansen uses his 'down-time' at Jacob Hamblin's to study. They keep reference books at all the sites for us to study. We really like the Jacob Hamblin site---it is more like the 'every-day' pioneer homes. They were industrious and persevering and never lost faith.



It's a slow day at the Visitor Center.....however, Elder Hansen wakes up quickly when someone comes in. He is very good at getting to know people quickly and being able to teach them what they want/need to know. He is getting the reputation among the missionaries as the one to go to when you need facts and details---about anything.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October weather is the reason people live in St. George---the weather is beautiful, the temperature is perfect and there is so much to do here! It is Cultural Month and we have 15 EXTRA events in the Tabernacle. This community REALLY works to keep everyone happily busy and united in good things.

We just finished the 26 mile Marathon on the 4th of October. It is the first time in 25 years that it rained on the runners the whole day. Many people came into the Visitor Center to get out of the rain and chill. The finish line for the race is a park one block away from the Temple Visitor Center. There were over 5,000 runners who actually finished. One fellow I talked to has run three 100 mile races....I don't know how many 26 mile ones he has done. It must take alot of time.

Then we have two weeks of the Huntsman Senior Games in October. There will be more than 7,000 athletes---and they all have support teams. We think there will be an increase of visitors at our Center and the Historic Sites.

The past couple of weeks I have met two different couples who knew Gail and/or Gary. One was Richard Peterson's scoutmaster in Inkom. Richard Peterson was Gail's first husband. The other knew Gary when he was a chiropractor in Pocatello.

We had General Conference Broadcast at the Visitor Center. A few guests came but mostly the missionaries enjoyed the sessions. Every time we listen to Conference we all say--'that is exactly what we needed to hear.' It will be great to read the Conference Ensign.

We are getting excited to go to Salt Lake for Anna and Darrin's wedding. We got permission to go from the Mission President---because it is out of our mission. He is fine with our attending to family. It will be wonderful to see the family again and to celebrate together!

I want to thank you for your encouragement on our mission. We are glad it is a happy experience for you, too. We love you all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have LOVED reading about your mission! I miss you guys! We need to get together soon! Did I tell you that I was one of those runners stuck in the rain for 5 hours? I ran the marathon.

LOVE YOU GUYS!