Three Hansen Missionary Couples The Hansen couple on the left came to our mission before us so, when we arrived, they became Hansen 1 and we became Hansen 2. Couple Hansen 1 left and the third Hanson couple came. So, to keep it from becoming too confusing, we became Hansen E and they became Hanson O. We love them all! This picture was taken at the Farewell Party for the Nelsons---Hansen 1 came for the Party.
Besides the busy-ness of the daily shifts and our extra duties, we have enjoyed visits and calls from family and friends. And, Elder Hansen has worked in the yard to get it ready for Spring.
Carol and Tom spent four days with us so we could have some time together---Tom went to softball games and Carol and I had a good visit. It took four days to get about two days worth of visiting because of our shifts and half days. We loved having them spend time with us.
Saturday is usually our busy 'wedding day' at the Temple, especially in the morning. Valentine's Day fell on a Saturday so we had LOTS of weddings. And, it was a lovely pre-Spring day. So, we really enjoyed our morning shift at the Visitor Center with all the pretty 'dressed up' little girls and 'bow-tied' little boys and their relatives, who were watching them while they waited for the bride and groom to appear...sometimes a very long wait. We are not set up to baby-sit, but we can show them our movies and take them around to see what is in the Visitor Center. It's just such a happy time for everyone...
For Valentine's Day I gave Elder Hansen a 'heart attack.' (Lots of paper hearts in all 'his' places around the house.) He gave me some applette and cotlet candy...which we both love. We have learned much about each other as we have been 24-7 companions for 14 months. Being married doesn't give you that much time together...so it has been a growing-together experience to be on a mission together. It has been good for us to appreciate and love each other.
The Temple closed the last two weeks of February for maintanance. Elder Hansen and I worked four hours in the Temple putting together language-translator boxes that had been disassembled to clean the parts...it took us that long to get them all done. We've really noticed the difference in the number of visitors at the VC when the Temple is closed. I love that the Temple draws people in to see us at the VC.
Speaking of the Visitor Center, I had four lovely young mothers from Mesa come in the other day while we were serving there. They were having a 'girls-time-out' together. They had come to go to the Temple--not realizing that it was closed. They decided to see the Stonecutter and the Pioneer Miracle movies. I spent time with them--we talked about the movies and what we can learn from them. There was such a good spirit...we shared special experiences. I hope they felt the sweet spirit that I did as I was with them. When I can visit wonderful members like they were, I try to encourage and affirm them and send them away with a desire to let the Lord love them and love Him in return.
Mike, Wendy, Megan, Savannah and Kaitlyn all came up on Friday afternoon, spent the night and went home on Saturday afternoon. We had nice meals together and played Ticket to Ride., etc. They came to celebrate my birthday---so we did. The girls are growing up so fast...Megan and Wendy fly to CA for Megan's Cheer Squad National Competition.
I have been given a different 'auxillary' responsibility. Instead of doing the monthly calendar and Tabernacle Program Flyers, I will now organize the weekly Saturday Recitals. I will get organ and piano performers lined up to perform. So, I will have to think a bit about how that can be a successful missionary effort.
I set a goal to read Philip's Book of Mormon while on the mission. Though I have read it many times before, it is pleasant to read it again in this setting. Whenever I find a quiet time--on shift--I read. I'm on Alma 39...I think I will get it all read by the 3rd of June---I hope it pleases Philip.
I still find it a struggle to ask people for referrals--I do it sometimes, but it is awkward for me...I had hoped I could get better at it by now. But, I do work hard and I hope successfully--at helping people feel happy and encouraged.
My determination to live the Gospel continues every day and I am happy to know I have it in my life to bless me---so I can bless others.
Saturday is usually our busy 'wedding day' at the Temple, especially in the morning. Valentine's Day fell on a Saturday so we had LOTS of weddings. And, it was a lovely pre-Spring day. So, we really enjoyed our morning shift at the Visitor Center with all the pretty 'dressed up' little girls and 'bow-tied' little boys and their relatives, who were watching them while they waited for the bride and groom to appear...sometimes a very long wait. We are not set up to baby-sit, but we can show them our movies and take them around to see what is in the Visitor Center. It's just such a happy time for everyone...
For Valentine's Day I gave Elder Hansen a 'heart attack.' (Lots of paper hearts in all 'his' places around the house.) He gave me some applette and cotlet candy...which we both love. We have learned much about each other as we have been 24-7 companions for 14 months. Being married doesn't give you that much time together...so it has been a growing-together experience to be on a mission together. It has been good for us to appreciate and love each other.
The Temple closed the last two weeks of February for maintanance. Elder Hansen and I worked four hours in the Temple putting together language-translator boxes that had been disassembled to clean the parts...it took us that long to get them all done. We've really noticed the difference in the number of visitors at the VC when the Temple is closed. I love that the Temple draws people in to see us at the VC.
Speaking of the Visitor Center, I had four lovely young mothers from Mesa come in the other day while we were serving there. They were having a 'girls-time-out' together. They had come to go to the Temple--not realizing that it was closed. They decided to see the Stonecutter and the Pioneer Miracle movies. I spent time with them--we talked about the movies and what we can learn from them. There was such a good spirit...we shared special experiences. I hope they felt the sweet spirit that I did as I was with them. When I can visit wonderful members like they were, I try to encourage and affirm them and send them away with a desire to let the Lord love them and love Him in return.
Mike, Wendy, Megan, Savannah and Kaitlyn all came up on Friday afternoon, spent the night and went home on Saturday afternoon. We had nice meals together and played Ticket to Ride., etc. They came to celebrate my birthday---so we did. The girls are growing up so fast...Megan and Wendy fly to CA for Megan's Cheer Squad National Competition.
I have been given a different 'auxillary' responsibility. Instead of doing the monthly calendar and Tabernacle Program Flyers, I will now organize the weekly Saturday Recitals. I will get organ and piano performers lined up to perform. So, I will have to think a bit about how that can be a successful missionary effort.
I set a goal to read Philip's Book of Mormon while on the mission. Though I have read it many times before, it is pleasant to read it again in this setting. Whenever I find a quiet time--on shift--I read. I'm on Alma 39...I think I will get it all read by the 3rd of June---I hope it pleases Philip.
I still find it a struggle to ask people for referrals--I do it sometimes, but it is awkward for me...I had hoped I could get better at it by now. But, I do work hard and I hope successfully--at helping people feel happy and encouraged.
My determination to live the Gospel continues every day and I am happy to know I have it in my life to bless me---so I can bless others.

No comments:
Post a Comment